So what does this do?
This patch allows ALL bones including all attachment points to be weighted to mesh and animated.
A limitation of the attachment points in the LL character is that many of them have names with spaces, like “Left Pec”. Collada 1.4 doesn’t handle bone names with spaces as space is used to delimit bone names. Avastar currently replaces spaces with an underscore in the critical places so you get “Left_Pec”, which of course SL doesn’t recognise. The patch just translates “Left_Pec” back to “Left Pec” at import time.
Mesh uploaded on a viewer using this patch looks identical to viewers without the patch so doesnt violate the TPV policy.
Credit for this work goes to Magus Freston and Gaia Clary (needs checking)
I asked for credit verification here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/topic/help-needed-to-test-viewer-patch/#post-12107
- Save attach_name_test.dae to computer
This mesh has two spheres in front of the hands. They are weighted to the attachment points “Left Hand” and “Right Hand”.
- Upload attach_name_test.dae making sure "Skin Weights" are enabled in the upload options tab
- Wear the uploaded mesh
- Use a fidgety AO with lots of arm movement or play a dance animation etc
- Test passes if the spheres hover in front of the hands and follow the hands with the animation playing
- Download attach_name_test.anim to computer
- Upload this animation into SL
- Play attach_name_test
- Test passes if the spheres rotate around the hands